Saturday, July 2, 2011

The formality of introducitions...

This is my first blog (haven't tried any html formatting for quite some time, gonna take some practice), I never made a facebook or a myspace, social networking is among real people with real conversation. Which makes this blog very ironic, but it has a purpose other than just me and "social networking." This is a blog to used to track my progress of hiking trails and being more at one with nature, the nature that is left right here not far from our own backyards, I have already done quite a few Pasco endorsed trails, as well as some not endorsed (endorsed meaning suggested by the swiftmud, parks and recreation department, or other forestry managers). Everything around here that hasn't been bought by SWFWMD is either private property or has been bought by developers,

This is more of a tool for me to use to track my progress, and anyone who views this can refer to me as my alias of Jig McGalliger, I don't really care who reads this. The reason I use this alias is among other things security, but not as much as internet security, but as security of hopes my family doesn't find this, they would not be supportive of the actions I have already taken and will continue to take regardless of what they try to talk me out of. Not trying to say I don't like my family, I love them but my father would be the only one who would say go and have a great time. He knows I'm not an idiot, I research the tasks I undertake, not many people get the opportunity to see nature in such a manner. My two sisters and my mother would be on the other side of the spectrum, hence the alias (they could see my name in my account but it won't be found with search functions). I find myself to be a man defined by the actions he takes, and these actions aren't for anyone or anything other than me. Personally I wanna do something fun, challenging, and cheap (cheap meaning self sufficient); I just wanna relax, read my books, draw, play music, whatever the hell I want, and not be distracted for as long as feel like, ya know?

A slight bit of introduction, I go by Jig McGalliger. I was born in Tampa, FL and have lived in Land O' Lakes since forever ago. I went to Land O' Lakes High School, played football through school and other sports recreationally throughout my entire life. I have been working at a restaurant that normally offers about 35 hours a week, been there over 5 years, worked up fast. Started there when I was 16 and I am now over half of my 21st year of age. Job isn't that great (tips tips tips), but It's a job, and I take pride in my work. I also attend school at Hillsborough Community College, I major in computer programming. I almost have my AS, hopefully I can get enough classes to be one at the end of spring, HCC isn't that great at offering classes at all semesters, but PHCC isn't any better or any closer.

I like programming, I want to work on gaming engines (specifically physics engines even if only used as middleware such as Havok) but many gaming engines offer the same physics features. The study of physics has interested me for many years. I have taken computer classes and languages including Visual Basic, C#, Database design (MSSQL and Oracle SQL), Systems Analysis, Networking, Unix/Linux, some Javascript and HTML; I just need some work experience. As a child I was a lego fanatic and have always aspired towards all things engineering, as well as all things natural. I made models of cars, jets, or houses; anything that would keep my interest. I was also in boy scouts for years, which was fun and teaches kids alot. I have also pursued some musical interests, I play guitar and drums (not that good but always fun to play) simply a hobby, much like video games, reading, or movies. I have also worked on multiple cars, working on my own project car for a matter of years now (1998 mitsubishi mirage with 4G64 2.4L swap, needs new ecu system) glad my parents don't hate me for having this car being a junk pile. Well it's far from a junk pile, the engine has been fully rebuilt with racing parts, I just don't have much knowledge of electrical systems, it's always a learning work in progress. I have also built my own gaming PC and have built a few for others (it much cheaper than buying a dell or anything else) I have also fixed a number of different laptops, desktops, gaming consoles.

As for all things natural, I like camping, mother nature, and hope many people realize this is our world we have to live alongside it, not overbear it; Earth would eventually reject human life. This isn't some macho chop down a tree and conquer nature bull crap, 'Leave No Trace' is rule #2 when hiking or backpacking, which means no littering, burning too much, or hunting or trapping (unless otherwise specified) especially on government owned or protected land, rule #1... survive (there are other rules posted at trails). My family has been riddled with people who aspire towards mother nature for generations, who love to go camping. My father is an environmental engineer for the Hillsborough County Environmental Protection Commission, basically he's a professional tree hugger, and a damn smart one at that. He mainly works with wetlands, using topographical maps to preserve ecological habitats from corporate developers, he also has to go out into the field occasionally, but it's much more extensive than my simple explanation. Sad thing is
I broke my elbow last year that came with surgery, an osteotomy, and about 11 screws. I've worked through physical therapy at Florida Orthopedic Institute for as long as my Humana HMO insurance covered me, it wasn't very long. But I learned enough from the therapist to be able to do many exercises at home to help bring my arm back to full strength. Been back in school for what classes I can get (HCC doesn't always offer classes towards my programming specific degree), and back in work for quite some time.
Since my surgery I have found myself limited to physical activities I used to participate in, and since my arm feels functional I feel like I can do them until the time really comes, so I practice, and re-train. I can now do push ups, and throw baseball (not very well though!) another activity that is physically stressing, mentally challenging, and downright fucking exhilarating is hiking; tackling a trail can be easy and relaxing, those that last for only a few hours, which a great starting points; however, some trails are too long to finish in 1, 2 or even 3 days, some local preserves have over 50 miles of trails (many accommodate biking, canoeing, and more), which is where the training is required to be able to finish and not be a hazard to your health or even your life. Other training includes arm weights and long jogging, cardio and endurance. My dad and his friends (aka "The Bubs") also like to just go out and hike, explore, camp, and appreciate what there is left of our natural world. They've been neighbors and friends for a matter of decades. And I have the same kind of friends, they know you only live once, and if "leaving your mark on history" means the avoidable destruction of other living things, there's not much to be gained. I don't really care who reads this, just don't wanna hear any grief from my family for going hiking.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jig wassup stay dry on that hike.

    Thebby

    ReplyDelete