Monday, July 18, 2011

Bad News, but not stopping

I went into surgery to get the screws and plate taken out of my elbow so I'm trapped recovering and classes start next month. I plan on getting back on the trail soon, just not soon enough. The expeditions throughout this whole blog are self funded and self produced, others that take on such documentation tasks are often sponsored and given gear along with some production budget for quality. I'll try to mix together some video into something of amateur production quality next time I can get back out there.

But all is not lost during down time, this is a period of more learning and more training, you can never be over prepared, simple as that (but you can be overpacked). Personally I've just been looking into other companies who support outdooring activities, particularly the ones that don't just manufacture or sell products used on trail, but those that live the products, and the brands have become a part of the lifestyle that comes with backpacking and trekking, while many who do already retail or produce those goods are there for that such reason. REI is a good one, they do manufacture some hiking/climbing goods and apparel, they retail other brands also. REI also endorses expeditions that encourage the purchasing of the products the sell, an effective marketing scheme (similar to Cabela's or L.L. Bean for you hunting folk). They also work with 'outdoor sports marketing,' go figure! Most of which are endorsed and sponsored hikes or documentary expeditions, used to market and test/review their products even more; regardless of all the capitalism they express, it does well for them, not me. There are plenty more, Backpacker is primarily a magazine about backpacking, nature, etc but they have loads of information about products they review, survival techniques, and nature safety on their website. Another more similar to myself would be Wahoo Hiker, he's more of a writer(and I lack such talent), but outdoor enthusiast nonetheless, but no longer updates that blog; there are too many to name them all. These companies market products they like, and do what they love in about as good of a manner a possible to still be profitable. I'd just rather it be about the experience and use the local parks and recreation department, than care much for the marketing and business of the products; but that's what makes the companies compete to make better stuff then the next guy. And this is merely a hobby of mine, I prefer something more substantial to make my living, hence my programming major.

I guess people like me is their target market, but I would never go as far as paying REI to set up their group hikes; an Appalachian hut to hut hike for $700 (they have more on all continents that go higher than $3k). I'd be the one that would get two friends and sneak around the front postings and camp shop to sleep our own way with our own shelter. We're merely walking! But of course I don't condone of any illegal activities.

Learning is a fun, progressive experience; you gain knowledge, then you test it, then you gain more knowledge, and knowledge is power! Packing the contents of your gear correctly is dire, you should how learn before going backpacking or hiking with a heavy load. First and foremost your pack should fit correctly to your size and carry the majority of the load on your waist not your shoulders. Keep everything in your pack strapped down well for balance, any heavy jostling items hanging on the outside or loose inside will shift and can easily throw you off your feet on uneven terrain.

Most hike packs have a big stow pocket at the bottom for sleeping bags or other light, compressable items. The heaviest items like water and tent poles should be closest to your spine in the center, as to attempt to be one with your torso. If your pack goes lopsided when you put it on there is probably too much weight on one side, and heavy items need to be centered correctly. These heavier items can be held in place with lighter softer items like clothing around the sides. Osprey packs has a good illustration of weight distribution. I only post a link to their site because it is their illustration and all credit goes to them, I want to avoid posting things that belong to others on my blog, I'd rather just refer readers to them and keep it original here. Keep things that need to be accessed often on the top or in easy to reach pockets with items only used in the evening at the hardest to reach places towards the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment